Monday, December 26, 2011

12/25 to 12/26 | The Last Days of Hanukkah

As the last candles of chanukiyot (menorahs) throughout the country start to melt, I am reminded of Hanukkahs from the past.  Last year, I was in Washington, DC.  In the years before, I was at home in Maryland, celebrating at least one of the days with my family in Baltimore.  In the years to come, I hope to celebrate many more Hanukkahs at home; however, this Hanukkah--a Hanukkah in Jerusalem!--is one to remember.  All around me are the festive lights of the holiday, celebrating much more than a miracle of oil that lasted eight days.  All over the country, there are sufganiyot (jelly doughnuts) and levivot (latkes, or potato pancakes), as well as dmei chanukah (gelt), sevivonim (dreidels), and the sounds of songs like "Ma'oz Tzur" and "I Had a Little Dreidel."  It certainly is a magical holiday and I am more than honored to be able to take part in the festivities.

This year and last year; Hanukkahs to remember!

As Hanukkah comes to a close, so does the time I have left in Israel.  This Thursday, Rachel will leave for the United States; exactly one week later, I'll be following suit.  As of this writing, the countdown clock on my computer says I have exactly 10 days left.  On my checklist of things to do, I am slowly making my way down the list:
  • Finish my paper on "Business Ethics within the Israeli Diamond Industry." 
  • Start and finish my paper on "Modern Diplomacy, Ancient Societies: Analyzing the Relationship between the People’s Republic of China and the State of Israel." 
  • Take the second part of my Hebrew final exam. 
  • Take my Foreign Policy of Israel final exam. 
  • Take my Archaeology of Israel final exam. 
  • Visit my family in Ramat Gan. 
  • Shop for souvenirs. 
  • Say goodbye to everyone!

Yesterday, I managed to complete all my souvenir shopping. Rachel and I spent some six hours in the pouring rain as we walked all over Ben Yehuda Street, Mamilla Mall, and the Old City.  Fortunately, some 1,200 shekels (₪) later, nearly all of my gift buying is done.  Once I was home, I managed to completely finish off my Business Ethics paper.  Quite a productive day!

The highlight of today was Monday-night Beit Midrash, where there was a Hanukkah party complete with sushi, sufganiyot and a talent show.  In addition, I managed to get an introduction written for my Foreign Policy paper.  There is still so much to do, but I am making sure to make everyday count!

1 comment:

  1. Scott went to petra... Guess you will have to see it next time

    ReplyDelete