Saturday, December 24, 2011

12/23 to 12/24 | Family Time (Featuring Scott)

Over the weekend, I returned to Ramat Gan to visit the family one more time before my departure.  This time, however, Scott was with me, so I had the pleasure of introducing everyone to another member of the family.  In my last post from Ramat Gan, I wrote, "It is my hope that this trip will strengthen the relationship between the American and Israeli sides of the family."  As much as I could... mission accomplished!

Scott and I arrived at the Tel Aviv train station on Thursday night, where our second cousin Yaeli was waiting for us.  After a few greetings and introductions, Yaeli drove us to her parents house, where Scott was introduced to our mothers' cousin Zahava and her husband Israel.  The next morning, our mothers' other cousin (Zahava's sister) Mira picked us up to show Scott and I around Ramat Gan and neighboring Givatayim.  After a tour of the two suburbs, Mira drove us to her apartment so that Scott could meet Chana, Mira and Zahava's mother (our grandmother's sister).  Like last time, this was quite an experience!  Chana is like a littler version of our own grandmother, except she speaks no English and cannot see.  Fortunately, my Hebrew is getting better, so I was able to communicate with her (albeit slowly).  It was very nice, though, and I know it was just as special for Scott as it was for me.

 Scott and I with Mira, our mothers' cousin.

We passed the bench where Chaim Nahman Bialik, Israel's national poet, used to sit and stare out at Tel Aviv.

The incredible view across from Bialik's bench.

The corner of Ben Gurion and Herzl.  Very Israeli.

 Scott and I with Mira and her mother Chana (our grandmother's sister).

The next day, Scott and I went with the family to the birthday party of a one-year-old on Israel's side of the family.  After the birthday party, we went to a restaurant in Tel Aviv that served homestyle Jewish food where we met up with Yuval, Israel and Zahava's son.  When we were done at the restaurant, we headed back to Israel and Zahava's house.  Scott continued on to the airport; I headed back to Jerusalem with Yaeli.

Birthday party!

A strange family connection: the man with the sheet of paper is the brother of the late husband of the second wife of our grandmother's brother (Bella's first husband's brother).

Israel, Scott, Yaeli, Zahava, and I. 

Yuval, Scott, Israel, Zahava, and I.

The past two days were a lot of fun!  I am glad I got to see the Israeli-branch of the family one more time before I head home in a week and a half.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think Bella was married before she married my Uncle Simon! Not sure what you are talking about!!!

    Last sentence, 2nd paragraph is awkward!!!

    ReplyDelete