Wednesday, October 5, 2011

10/3 to 10/4 | The First Two Days of Class

Just as I had expected, my classes are quickly becoming a lot of work.  It is only two days in and I am already swamped with readings for all of my classes.  Here is a breakdown of the courses I am taking:
  • Modern Hebrew: Bet, Lower Intermediate Level, Part I
    • This class is a continuation of all that I learned during ulpan over the summer.  I successfully completed Hebrew at the "aleph" level with a 95% (A+), so I have moved up to "bet."  So far, it does not seem too bad and the professor seems very engaging.  I am a little nervous for when things pick up, however, because the verbs and vocabulary are much more intensive.  Even so, this class will bring me that much closer to fluent! 
From generation to generation, dor l'dor.  The yellow book and I go way back, so it is weird to be starting a new book.
  • Business Ethics and Social Responsibility: A Middle Eastern Perspective
    • I was initially unsure of this class, but after one day I already know it is going to be great.  The professor began the class with a debate on business ethics in the United States, which I assume will segue in to future discussions on business in Israel.  He mentioned that we will be going on two field trips over the course of the semester; one to the Intel factory in Kiryat Gat and another to the Teva (not shoes, just pharmaceuticals) factory in Petah Tikva.  I think one of the best parts about studying in Israel is being able to go and see what you are studying firsthand and this class promises to deliver on that.
  • Foreign Policy of Israel
    • This is my dream class.  The subject covers one of my greatest interests and the professor is fantastic.  According to his biography, he was a close friend of Golda Meir and became her spokesperson when she was Prime Minister.  He is currently the head of a memorial institute in her honor.  His knowledge of the Arab-Israeli conflict is unmatched and I am really looking forward to a semester in his class.
  • Archaeology of Israel
    • Business Ethics may include field trips, but Archaeology of Jerusalem is designed around them.  Jerusalem has a vast history, from the Caananites of ancient times all the way to the Israelis of today.  In between, the city has seen a variety of cultures and civilizations; all of these are slowly being exposed through archaeology.  In a few weeks, we will kick off our trips with a visit to the City of David next to the Old City.  This is where the original walled city of Jerusalem was located.  The professor is extraordinarily knowledgable about the subject, to the point where I was not only in awe of the subject matter, but of her ability to spout off facts, too!
I am very fortunate that I have such great classes.  Although my feelings on them may change as time goes on, for now I am happy with all of my decisions.

Great classes at a great school.  This sign reminded me of...

...this sign!  I am very fortunate to go to both of these school.

1 comment:

  1. i love this post and i love you.
    that is all
    =)

    so glad classes went well! and i have tons of hw too - so it's like we are in the libes doing hw together still. haha

    ReplyDelete