Friday, August 26, 2011

8/26 | The Journey Begins

It is often said that the journey is greater than the destination.  As I anticipate with great excitement the adventure that lies ahead of me, I cannot help but find it amusing that my greatest challenge may be in just getting to Newark Airport.  In the past week, there has been a terrorist attack outside of Eilat, nearly 100 rockets fired from Gaza, and an earthquake here in Maryland. All of these have had the potential to delay my semester in Israel; however, with Hurricane Irene heading up the East Coast, it seems that my greatest obstacle may be some rain and wind!  With such craziness already, this is already shaping up to be an interesting experience.

As I sit here in my basement hoping for the best, both in terms of the actual flight and the semester ahead of me, it is not lost on me that Jews have never had it easy getting to Israel.  For over 2,000 years, Jews all over the world have longed to return "to be a free people in our land / the land of Zion and Jerusalem" as the words of HaTikvah, Israel's national anthem, so eloquently put it.  Fortunately for me, I only have a few days to wait until my arrival at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, where I will be staying on beautiful Mount Scopus--Har HaTzofim--overlooking the Old City and the Temple Mount.  How many Jews throughout history have yearned to be in my position?  It is quite humbling to think that I may be so privileged to study at one of Israel's finest institution of higher learning in a city that is unmatched in holiness during a time when the Jewish State is flourishing in the face of so much danger.  In just 60 years, a people ravaged by centuries of anti-Semitism have built one of the finest nations in the world and I have the chance it live it firsthand!

The view from an observation platform on Mount Scopus taken during my first trip to Israel in July 2010.

In just a few hours, assuming that El Al doesn't cancel or delay my flight, I will be on my way to Newark Airport.  Regardless of the weather, I'll make it to Jerusalem.  There may be a storm coming, but when has that ever stopped a Jew in the past?

The first, and possibly most challenging, leg of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment